Understanding Utility Collection in Humboldt
1. You will receive an itemized bill from the City of Humboldt on all services furnished to your dwelling by the City. This bill will include gas, water, sewer and trash services furnished in accordance with the Ordinances of the City of Humboldt, Kansas. This bill will be mailed no later than the last working day of every month. If you fail to receive a bill by the 3rd of the month, call the City Hall. The number is 473-3232.
2. Bills must be paid by the 10th of the month, or if the 10th of the month falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday prior to the close of business on the next working day. Payments by mail properly stamped and addressed will be considered as being made upon the date if they are postmarked on or before the due date. After 5:00 p.m. on the due date, payments may be deposited in the drop slot installed at the office of the City Clerk in City Hall, and all such payments placed in said drop slot prior to 8:00 a.m. on the next working day, will be considered as being made upon the business day next preceding such time. All bills not paid within the time above set out will have a delinquent charge of 5 percent added thereto.
3. Customers who do not pay their utility bill before the 21st of the month, or if the 21st day of the month falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, on the normal working day next following the 21st day of the month, will be entitled to a hearing at 9:00 a.m. on said day to present evidence tending to show good cause why such water, gas and sewer service should not be discontinued. In the absence of an appearance at the hearing, or in the absence of good cause being shown, water, gas and sewer service shall be discontinued subsequent to the time such hearing is adjourned. A $25.00 collection fee shall be assessed to each account which is subject to termination following such hearing or upon failure to pay the account pursuant to the final termination notice. The City will make a good faith effort, subsequent to the hearing and prior to disconnecting such gas, water and sewer, to contact the tenant or the owner prior to the disconnection of such utilities. However, if, after such good faith effort, the City is unable to contact any such person, the City may at 4:00 p.m. on that day, disconnect and discontinue such service irrespective of the fact that such further notice has not been given. Service that has been discontinued in accordance with utility collection procedures will not be renewed until after all bills and penalties are paid, specifically water, gas and sewer charges and including a further sum of $10.00 per utility service (Gas & Water), for disconnection of utilities and $25.00 per utility for re-connection of such services. Trash service, even if unpaid, will be continued, and the fee will be continued. It is possible that said charge will be added to the ad valorem taxes for the real estate upon which your dwelling is situated; and further provided, that the City may resort to civil lawsuit to collect the same.
4. Delinquent accounts will be paid at the City Clerk's office during normal working hours only.
5. Consumers shall keep their own service pipes, stock cocks and boxes and apparatus in good repair and protected from freezing at their own expense, and shall prevent all unnecessary waste of water or gas; and it is expressly stipulated that no claim shall be made against the City by reason of breaking or leaking of consumers service pipes.
6. Please report all moves, changes and transfers to the City Clerk's office as soon as possible. There shall be a water and gas service charge for disconnection, reconnection or transfer of services of $10.00 per utility. Any transfer of services shall be transferred only upon payment of all delinquent charges, interest and penalty thereon, and the transfer charge.
7. If you have any questions regarding your utility service, please stop in or call the City Clerk's office.
WATER & SEWER
Single individual residential customers with no established water average will be charged the minimum sewer rate of $31.98 (1,000 gallons) until an average is established for the months of December, January and February. The sewer rate will then be effective March through February.
Two or more residents with no established water average will be charged the City average of $49.89 (4,000 gallons) until an average is established for the months of Dec., Jan. and Feb. The sewer rate will then be effective March through February.
Initial Connection Fee (Non-Refundable) - $25 per utility (Gas & Water) - For first time service to address.
Transfer Fee - $10 per utility (Gas & Water) - Transfer of service from present residence to another service address or transfer of service from a renter back to the landlord.
Disconnection Fee - $10 per utility (Gas & Water) for termination of utility service
Reconnection Fee - $10 per utility (Gas & Water) for reconnection of services terminated, including summer or vacation disconnections or $25 per utility for reconnection of utility service due to non-payment.
TRASH ROUTE SCHEDULE
North of Bridge Street on Thursdays
South of Bridge Street on Tuesdays
Normal working hours begin at 6:00 a.m.
Trash will not be picked up on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Please no trash containers larger than 32-gallon capacity
Polycarts are available from JKS Sanitation.
You are allowed up to two 32-gallon containers each week for the minimum of $10.75 per month. A monthly trash charge is mandatory and will be billed on the City of Humboldt utility bills.
Trash must be in trash bags inside the containers.
Yard waste, grass clippings, small limbs, ashes, raw animal manure or any regulated hazardous waste such as paint, lead acid batteries, tires and regulated infectious waste won't be picked up.